It only takes a couple minutes a day to make a huge change in the the future of the country. It can seem overwhelming or futile, but in truth it’s neither!
Here are a few small things you can do. You don’t need to be extroverted, organized, or politically connected. Pick something off this list and make it part of your daily routine:
- The most effective thing you can do is join your local Indivisible group. Search by zipcode on that site, or google “indivisible [your state, city, or congressional district]”. You’ll get a daily action tailored to your locale. Most only take a minute to complete. No Indivisible group in your area? Try 5Calls, where you input your zip code and get personalized call scripts for your elected officials.
- Sign up for ResistBot, a SMS gateway that lets you fax your elected officials over the phone. If it sounds too good to be true, you have to give this a try!
- Join a boycott, such as Injustice Boycott and GrabYourWallet.
- Like a boycott, help Sleeping Giants convince advertisers to pull their ads off white supremacist fake-news site Breitbart. Update: Use AdStrike, which connects to your twitter and (with your permission) periodically tweets at companies who advertise on Breitbart.
- Help get more progressives elected, using SwingLeft.
- Take one day off each week. The next 4 years will be a marathon, not a sprint. Don’t get overwhelmed, but don’t get complacent either.
- Lastly, get others to do any of the above!
(updated April 2017)
My /now page inspired by Derek Sivers. I decided to dedicate it to one topic only, since “I meditate, work at EnergySavvy, and, oh yeah, I’m also smashing the patriarchy” didn’t really work for me)